Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Anime North 2013 Plans - Lucina of Fire Emblem: Awakening

It's already near the end of February and I haven't really thought much about this years plans for Anime North 2013. The convention is in 3 months so I decided that If I continued to be a picky bastard and wait for more options then I'd be having some last minute problems like usual. Last year I did Imca of VC3 which was a bulky armored costume and the year before that I did a really shitty Gilgamesh from Fate/Stay Night. I promised myself that this year I'd do something more light armored so I could move around freely and wouldn't be such a tedious job in terms of crafting and maintenance.


With that being said, I decided to stick with my plans I made last year in September for doing Lucina of Fire Emblem Awakening (Kakusei). This is again going to be considered a crossplay, or how I like to call it reverse crossplay since the character is female and has androgynous traits so it works out for me. I should also mention that I have never played Fire Emblem: Awakening since I do not own a 3DS, but I have played a few other titles and enjoy the series. As to why I chose Lucina? The design for this character is really cool and you can already tell that dark blue is one of my favorite colors judging from my previous cosplay, Imca. Everything about this character stands out to me, the clothes aren't as feminine, the sword and sheath have an awesome design, the color scheme feels majestic, and best of all she has a badass mask. Then again, you should probably check out the designs of all the other Fire Emblem Awakening characters as they all have some pretty amazing armor designs. I will be doing the short hair version much similar to Marth since the long hair won't likely fit my style. At the moment, I don't really have anything planned out for this costume, as in no sketches, no measurements, no patterns, no CAD drawings, and mostly just reference pictures to work with but I'll try to manage. This is going to be considered a huge challenge for me as I have barely any experience with fabric craft and sewing, I'm going to take this opportunity as a learning experience to improve my cosplay skills. I'm not expecting much help at all since my mother likely doesn't have the time for this but I'm going to be spending a few days on google or the cosplay.com forums. With 3 months counting, I'm hoping to finish this entire project in a span of 2 months, focusing on the clothing and armor first then working on the weapon afterwords which I'll likely make it out of wood. I'll also try my best to post WIP (work in progress) updates from time to time.

In all honesty, I'm not expecting to make something worthwhile but at least something I can be amazed at myself for accomplishing. I'd like to take it a little more easy and not put myself into an insane amount of stress as I did the previous year and really just enjoy the whole process for what it's worth. My parents don't really acknowledge my cosplay achievements so I'm quite thankful to all the cosplay friends I've made and the kind compliments they share which continue to support me. I'm hoping to have more fun this year, make more friends, and possibly find others who will be cosplaying from the same series or even someone else cosplaying the same character. If anyone has any questions, suggestions, or anything to share then just leave a comment below.

2 comments:

  1. so ur gonna gimme the sword when ur d0ne rite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/180drnhw29yhggif/cmt-medium.gif

      Delete